Sunday, July 26, 2009

Why I don't fix stuff for other people


I hate it when I fix stuff that doesn't need fixing. By the way, it happens. If I was doing this for a living I would have to rip people off to stay alive (or in business, anyway).


I never wanted to know what a f'ing solenoid is, you know. Who the fuck cares what a solenoid is?


A couple of years ago I replaced the solenoid in the golf cart. I was following the advice of a golf cart forum on the web. By the time I had made my way into a central electrical junction of the cart, I discovered that the solenoid was probably just fine. It was the wire that went from the solenoid to the key that was bad... oh well, we had a new solenoid anyway - yahoo.


Well, apparently I carry a solenoid curse. Fast forward to today.


After Thing 2 had her accident on the desert (broken arm, etc.) back in March, I discovered that one of the ATV's wouldn't start. It came home from the desert o.k., but it wouldn't start for me to move it. I turned the key and NOTHING. So I decided it was the solenoid. That is what was wrong with the golf cart when it acted the same way, (here's the flaw in my thinking), so I figured that it must be the solenoid again.


I left it sit for six months. I had called a mechanic a few months back from Craig's list to help, but he never showed up. Ugh.


On Monday I decided to go out in the morning (before it was beastly hot) and pull out the solenoid myself. I researched on the web, found diagrams, found a source for a reasonably priced new one, and it arrived in a couple of days.


Today I put it in. It was a pain in the ass. It is hot outside, the part was almost to spec... making it difficult to put in. Difficult, but not impossible.


I charged the battery, installed the battery, and .... NOTHING. Fucking, NOTHING.


Then I realized... as I stood over the machine I realized there was a red switch on the left handlebar. It said "engine" and on the left it said "off" and on the right it said "off", but in the middle it said ... I don't remember... maybe "on".


Yeah, that's right. There's a red switch that turns the fucking engine off, and on if you want.


Are you laughing at me? Seriously. Are you laughing????


Yep, I moved the switch to the middle point, tried the ignition, and yes, it started.


WTF???


The solenoid was fine. It was a switch that no one has ever touched. Apparently when Thing 2's friend brought home the ATV he turned off the switch. Good guy. He was trying to do everything right.


I fixed something that didn't need to be fixed. This is why I don't feel confident fixing things for other people. I'm afraid my ignorance will cost us all time and money.


Ugh. I NEVER EVER wanted to know what a f'ing solenoid was. Actually, I still don't - but I know that wires go in to a solenoid and a lot of wires go out - but basically, I don't give a rat's ass.


Stupid solenoids. Stupid me. I gotta get a job, and find someone that shows up when I need something fixed.

3 comments:

  1. LOL, but the point is you can fix it! If I had tried that it wouldn't have run after I got done tinkering with it no matter what postion a switch was in.
    Be proud of the fact you a very accomplished woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm smiling, it'd be a laugh if we were talking.
    Our central a/c has been out for over a month. It's taken that long to bite the bullet and save some money.
    Just one last hope, a friend came and looked at it. Nothing but a huge hair ball in the coils inside the unit. Yeah, we cleaned the coils and cleaned the filters but who the hell put coils inside the thing. News to me.
    Doesn't matter now, we've got wonderful COLD a/c.
    Thinking about you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete