Sunday, October 25, 2009

On a lighter note

I didn't want to give the balloon family any more attention than they already have, but some things are just so funny you need to see them again.



I rarely watch YouTube videos, but the other day I wanted to see the 'Balloon Boy' interview from CNN again. I had seen it live, but wanted to see it again, just to examine the details with a hindsight perspective. I had a good laugh when I found the video, but it wasn't the video as much as it was several of the comments. There are so many funny and clever people out there!

Here's the video, which I know you must have seen, but it is worth checking out again - it's short. I particularly like :40 - :47, where the whole thing caves in, dad says, "Maaann", which must have scared that kid to death, and it stresses someone in the family so much that they soil their pants, or so it sounds...





My favorite comment from YouTube viewers was:



"Boy, his brothers Pigeon and Woodpecker must have been embarrassed!"



When I saw this video the first time I remember actually feeling embarrassed for them. Earlier in the day I expressed to one of the Things that it seemed a little "off" to me. I decided that I must be the world's biggest cynic, felt bad that I was so cynical, and continued watching. Then the interview. Hahahahahaha! Can you believe that those people actually thought they could count on their kids to pull that off? I mean, the whole thing is batshit crazy anyway, but to actually think that they could count on the Bird Boys to hold it together? Seriously?

It's great to have an 11 year old boy around. When the interview was live I called Thing 3 in the room, rewound the DVR, and showed it to him. Of course, Thing 3, an 11 year old boy, heard the fart above all else!



I can't help thinking of the wisdom my father shared with me. My dad was an auditor a good portion of his career. He caught a lot of people that thought they were smart enough to get away with being sneaky. My dad learned a lot from his work. He used to say that if you are going to do something sneaky there are a couple of rules:



First, always do it alone. When more than one person does something sneaky, the other person can be depended on to roll when times get tough. Count on it.



Second, he said that if you are going to steal something, make sure that it is BIG, because when you get caught it better have been worth it, the humiliation is the same either way.



Seems the balloon family could have used some of my dad's perspective. Nah... something tells me that you couldn't tell Balloon Dad anything. I'll bet he knows it all.

2 comments:

  1. Kids make the worst accomplices. I remember interviewing one mother in an accident case. She didn't want to make a huge deal out of it, until she found out she wasn't in trouble and that the other person had insurance. Then she started claiming she and her kids were injured, and that they were so upset about the accident they couldn't even eat, all while they were sitting there scarfing plate after plate of breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have seen/heard the coverage here! It was ridiculous. There were a few Bubble Boy costumes around too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete