Thursday, June 25, 2009

Is this the beginning of the end?


Warning: This ain't no cheerful post - proceed at your own risk.


Don't take my title too seriously. I'm in the inevitable funk.


Thing is, I've hit a big wall.


My vacation was wonderful. I love to see my kids grow. They are wonderful people, and great travelers. The scenery we saw, and the stuff we did was great. I hope that they will always remember the trip. However, it is hard. It's hard to be responsible and leading the good time all alone. I did a great job, but I would have loved to have a friend along to share the load.


On my trip home I decided on a book title, that God willing, will be changed by a publisher. The title is: Social Networks: One woman's adventure in time travel. I've got it in me, but Thing 1 says it won't ever happen - because she says I always put them first.


Mr. Ex has been pulling his typical misery creating bullshit. I try to be tough, but truth is I'm breaking. He has always had radar for finding a way to make anything bad for me worse. Now is no exception. The details? Not exciting - just that he figured out that if he maximizes any deductions from gross income he can get the garnishment for alimony to exceed the maximum of 60% allowable by law. So far he has come up with deductions that are reducing alimony payments by over $200 per month. May not sound like much to you, but for us it is a grocery bill. While he is building up a big tax refund and buying stocks, we have even less cash than before - and believe me, we can't really live on what he sends - I've just been playing a giant financial shell game for a few years. I need to be working, and the current market sucks for someone that was performing "Community Service and Property Management" since 2001. (Not a bad resume label for being a stay at home. DYI genius, huh? - well, it ain't working.)


I thought I could put a lien on Mr. Ex's tax refund (which will exceed $10k when he files next April), but because the decree calls it alimony (done for tax purposes), I can not use the child support enforcement processes in place between the federal and state governments. Fuck. What the hell does alimony do? Yeah, it supports children.


Meanwhile cash flow sucks, any investments I have left are still worth shit, and I don't get interviewed, much less hired - for what I'm qualified to do and damn good at.
I'm sick of broken water softeners, water heaters, pool crap... negotiating with repair people, replacing tires, getting oil changes. I'm sick of plain old life right now. So much bullshit.


Yes, intellectually I know that this will pass. Emotionally, it's tough. I swirl in feelings of anger, resentment, hate, sorrow, regret, more anger, more regret. Fuck.


I also need to finally realize that my hopes and dreams are a bunch of crap. I hate to admit that I was wrong, but I guess I am - or if I'm right, it doesn't matter anyway. I've always held out hope that my Mr. Whatif would wake up and see that his life can be better and he can still meet his obligations. I have been ready to forgive, forget the pain, and embrace the magic that was our connection. (Sorry if that is too sappy, stupid, or unrealistic for anyone - but it is my pathetic truth.) I followed my heart, believed in my instinct, and even recognized that he need to wait for his child to become an adult. His mom and my mom gave me "thumbs up" about our connection when I went to the medium a few years back.


My hopes are dead. He won't see it. His preference is living in punishment and guilt, and won't see that he is better off if he moves toward light. I can't change that, nor should I have to.


I don't have the energy to build new hopes right now. Truth is, I am raising my kids and loving every minute of watching them become wonderful human beings. I'll be here until they are all out on their own. But truth is... I only stay here for them. I'm too tired to dream or wish anymore. Most days, once I've done what my kids need from me, I don't give a rats ass about life. I have trouble moving. I have trouble... with anything.


Throughout my life I have struggled with the "why". Why do we exist? I used to stick around because I felt I was here for my parents - and now they are gone. Now I exist because my children need me - but that time is fading quickly, and so am I.


It's not that I'm suicidal, it is that I just don't see the point of being a strong person anymore. I feel used up, old, abused, abandoned, and tired. I don't feel like looking for a partner. I don't like much of the choices, and let's face it - an almost 50 year old woman with three kids, no matter how attractive and "well preserved", isn't in any more demand out there than someone that has "Community Service and Real Estate Management" on their resume for an 8 year stretch.


Hey, I told you it was a funk!


I love whoever reads this blog. Thanks.

9 comments:

  1. Sweet Jesus, hang in there! It sounds like a whole bunch of shit just hit critical mass for you. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey-like Bubs said-hang in there-things look a little bleak now, but they always turn. My father was a depressive soul, (I am not saying you are!) and I think I inherited some of those feelings. The glass is always half empty not the other way around...bad things will probably happen etc. Then things turn around when I stop and think and do something else to get out of it. Usually for me, its something like some type of exercise that gets my endorphins (or whatever they're called) going. And then there's another day. Things like this sometimes happen in clusters-good things can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (((hugs))) Do something different today. Anything from running away from home for a few hours of "me" time walking around the Boyce Thompson Arboretum to signing up on Facebook and looking for old high school classmates. Just do something a bit different and try and remember how much fun life can be! (((more hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Slogging through the funk is unavoidable. Hope it passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bubs
    Thanks. Yep, the shit hit the fan, so to speak.
    Migar
    Hi! Yeah, the dark does find light. It is a law of nature, and once you have faith in that you're in good shape! You are right, I can go to the dark side, but I kind of appreciate it in the big picture. Without recognizing the dark and naming it, I'm not so sure you can see the brilliance of the light.

    No, I'm not bipolar.... I just look for the "bright side" of the funks of my life, I guess!

    Raven
    Hugs to you, my friend! I'm so glad you come by! Seriously.

    Sans
    Oh, I'm funky, alright! :-)
    I'm feeling a bit better, and these comments have helped a great deal!

    Kirby
    You know you are awesome, Kirby... right? I'm slogging, but the crap seems a bit less deep at this point!

    Still love y'all!!! xxxx0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bubbles, I am sorry to have been away for so long.

    Not sure if you are still depressed, but if you are it is small wonder. This too shall pass, sweetie, and it wouldn't hurt maybe to find out if there's a way around the ex's tricks.

    After my marriage ended, I went through a period of longing for one of the past loves in my life that never came to be. Then, one day I woke up and I was over it.

    Buck up, baby. People love you. And why not? You're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the funk is only a moment of weakness... it's hard to believe you have any weaknesses girl. You can fix everything, and you can fix this by looking forward, not back. Your next guy will be lucky to have you.

    Also, why not take a part-time job, even if it's not for a lot of money or the perfect job (for now), just to get you out there and socialized a little, and have a bit more spending money? It could lead to something better.

    Mama needs some adult friends and happy hours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vikki and Kristi
    I hope you guys come back to get my comment!
    Thanks for 'listening' and for being there! It makes a huge difference for me. You guys know how much I respect and appreciate you, right?
    You are right, Kristi - I need to get out more. I also should consider the part-time gig. I think I might remodel the two remaining bathrooms when school starts, then look for something when I'm finished. The potential return (long term) on the time / investment on the bathrooms probably beats the part-time income after taxes... but when that is done I've got no reason to not be out there anymore!

    Vikki- I'm bucking up, sistah. What choice do I have, anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete