Sunday, June 7, 2009

We're outta here... soon


There's a reason we don't go anywhere much. There are four dogs, five cats, two parakeets, and 49 chickens that need care.


But we're going a couple of places this summer anyway.


At the end of the week three out of the four of us are headed to Colorado. I love Colorado and I love the mountains. A friend has a big house near Estes Park that has some availability and very affordable, so two of my offspring and I are going to take a few days to cool off. Except... the weather here has been unseasonably cool, so I guess we are just going to get away.


I used to have friends in Colorado. I had a close friend that lived in Castle Rock. She and I worked together for 12 years and knew each other for a couple of years before that - roughly 20 years. We were both married young, were married forever before we had kids, had kids around the same ages, etc. But last summer Mr. Ex proudly told me that he had been invited to visit their home to go skiing. Actually, it was the friend's husband that invited him, but the thought of them staying friends with him, much less entertaining he and a new woman in their home, made me sick. I figured if they could stay friends with someone that treated me the way Mr. Ex treated had treated me... I wrote them off. I figured that if Mr. Ex got custody of everyone else (except my BFF Peg), he might was well take the friends that I made for us through my work. They can have the asshole if they think he's worth it.


But I digress with my bitterness... please forgive me.


I also have old friends from high school in Colorado, but last time I went through town I received a cold response to my phone calls. I don't have thick enough skin to feel that way again. I figure if someone from my past wants to see me they can make the effort. I'm not putting myself out there right now.


So, we have some hiking and fishing on our agenda! I think it will be great. Originally I was going to trailer the ATV's, but since Thing 1 needs to stay home to work, I think I'd be taking on too much for just me and the younger two to handle. It's amazing how much easier it is to do stuff with my 17 year old by my side. This will be good practice for when she heads off to college, I guess.


Thing 1 will be in charge of the homestead, with the watchful eyes of my family that live nearby. Fortunately, my brother lives down the road, and I'm certain that he will keep an eye for her safety. I think she will have a party, which is fine with me because I'm sure that she will keep things in control. Besides, I'll feel good knowing that she has some big, strong, muscular lifeguard friends around to protect her from ... oh, never mind.


I'll be getting ready for the trip this week. If anyone from Colorado would like to join me for a glass of wine next week, drop me an email! I'd love to have a little adult company during my trip!




6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'll have a good time. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll adapt to not having that older child's help. It took about a month after my oldest moved out and we had a new routine down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GKL
    I hope so!!!!

    Raven
    Thanks for reassuring me. I am already worried about the change- yet so happy and proud to be sending such a fine young woman out to the world. Ugh. I just want to keep her here and hide her from the world... I'm sure you know what I mean! She's ready and maybe I'm not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good time. Hope you get nice weather for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bubbles. Hope you have fun. We're in ABQ, NM-its been pretty windy here-hope its not windy there in CO.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I am sooooo jealous! I went to Estes Park in 1980 and fell in love with it. A friend of the people we were travelling there with was a park ranger, so we got to stay in her apartment for free. It's on my short list for places to go when I can once again afford a vacation.

    ReplyDelete