Thursday, January 29, 2009

Those chickens are lame ducks


Those poor chickens. Everyone wants to eat them.


Yesterday Thing 3 and I were out there letting them run around and forage. They love to scratch in the dirt, dust themselves off, and eat the grass and weeds we have this time of the year.


All of the sudden the chickens went nuts. Just as I looked up to see what was going on, the Harris Hawk that was swooping in for a snack noticed I was there. I think we surprised each other equally. He waited around on the electric pole out front, but decided to move on while we were herding the birds back into the pen.

All of this time I have wondered if I was being silly to babysit when they are out foraging.

Now I know.

The hawks have really given us a run for our money this winter. One day I went out to see them flocks and there was a dead chick on the side of the pen. It looked as if the hawk had grabbed it through the wire with its talon and pulled it's head through the wire. Either the dogs or I must have scared the hawk off before it finished its meal.

Then a couple of weeks ago someone left the pen door unlocked. It holds pretty tight without locking, but we lock it to keep the dogs from pushing it open - or coyote, or javelina. Well, something opened the door during the night and got a mature laying hen and 18 maturing chicks. Ugh.

Not to worry, though. We have more chicks on their way. My last order was from Welp's hatchery. Healthiest chicks yet. If not for the "break in" and the hawk we would have only lost one of the 31 from our order from failure to thrive. Not bad at all, given our past experiences.

Speaking of lame ducks, I'm wishing I could get some ducks. Welp's has ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys... I'd love to have a little pond and some ducks. That will have to wait, though. I'm already tired of hauling home feed and scratch. At this rate I might as well get a horse and a cow!

One of these days I'm going to research home made incubators. Thing 3 wants to try to hatch some eggs. I'm willing, if I don't have to spend any money.

I don't think I can ever live on less than a rural acre again. This is too fun. (Well, that's today. Ask me some day when the chores are overwhelming me!)

4 comments:

  1. you're becoming a regular zoo over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken feathers must be useful for something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Harris Hawks. Of course they're not eating chickens I am planning to eat. That would probably bring them down a few pegs in my estimation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother keeps guinea hens. He LOVES those hens. He had to rescue one from the clutches of a hawk, and then he stitched up the wound himself. He's cute that way.

    ReplyDelete