
Victory! Woo Hoo! Victory!
A few weeks ago, while fixing the water softener, I dropped my 18 volt cordless drill / driver and broke one of the little plastic notches on the housing that holds the battery in place. I could still use the tool for little tasks, but I had to hold it a certain way and it wasn't going to work for anything big.
I have no money. I really don't like to spend money on tools, anyway. The thought of spending about $100 on a new one didn't make me feel happy at all. Yes, I know there are ones that are much cheaper, but I sometimes need a tool that will a little more than what a "normal" girl would need around the house. I make do with the least I can, but I need a tool that is at least capable of doing the jobs I do.
Since the batteries and charger are still fairly new I thought I'd look on the manufacturer's web site to see if there was a rebuilt item available for cheap. Rebuilt stuff probably wouldn't include batteries, chargers, carrying cases, etc. I just needed a new... housing... for the working tool I had. hummm.
So, while examining the web site I decided to check out the parts department. Much to my surprise, when I studied the schematic of the tool, I found that a new housing was only $6.95! I figured that was a pretty small amount to gamble if I could actually fix the thing!
Today I tried. I took out about ten screws, pulled a couple of pieces out of their slots, and the old housing was off! Easy.
Unfortunately, I failed to notice a couple of details about how the pieces I had to remove from their slots actually worked. Not so good...
Then, as I was trying to figure it out, the internal workings of the drill fell into two major sections. Not so good!
There were about 8 little gears, some pins, a metal plate... all smaller than a nickel. Shit.
Then I decided to work on it. I figured it was hopeless, but I tried.
I analyzed, studied, analyzed, studied. I tinkered. I fiddled. I studied some more.
Guess what??? I did it! I put it all back together and it works!! Not only that, since it has a brand new housing, the darn thing looks brand new!! No scratches, no dents - just shiny and new!
I feel like a genius!
Not only that, while I was finding the part for the drill I also found a replacement cap for my cordless power garden sprayer. The sprayer uses the same batteries and is a very handy little $30 item, but without the cap it was useless. That part was only $2.95.
Sometimes things go the right way. I fixed it!!

I know the feeling, Bubbles. It's so nice when you figure out how to fix things yourself.
ReplyDeleteWell done! I love those little victories.
ReplyDeleteAll Hail Bubbles! Yay!
ReplyDeleteMc Guyver is back!!!!!!.......
ReplyDeleteNo money inspires genius. Good job.
ReplyDeleteNo money inspires genius.
ReplyDeleteWhat the hell??? I guess you needed to hear that twice.
ReplyDeleteThat's cool-usually for me, with something like that, I end up throwing the damn thing on the ground in disgust when I can't fix it!
ReplyDelete