I'm a leadership skills groupie. When I see leadership at its finest, I just have to smile. Obama provided it, and I am grateful.
I'm sickened with the conservative reaction to our President, the freaking leader of the free world. I feel disgusted that there are people out there that think he is out to brainwash kids. Do they really feel that they are that not influential enough in their kids' lives that a speech will undermine their influence? Really? How on earth can a Presidential speech be so bad that you would keep your kids home from school?
Sure, you will keep them home to go to Disneyland, you will keep them home because the need some downtime (hey, totally guilty of this), you will keep them home for a movie premiere, their grandma, or because they weren't ready to ace a test... but the President of the United States and his message? Oh no. No. No. He is, uh, dare I say it? He is an African American that has messages about ... taking responsibility. Sheesh. What ignorance!
I for one would like to thank President Obama for his message. We all could use some support.
I'm a mom. I'm a single mom.
Every day I try my best to inspire my kids to work hard. To take responsibility. To be the best they can be.
The line I walk is a huge challenge as a leader (parent). They know that I will love them unconditionally. I won't stop loving them if they fail. That is the toughest line to walk for a parent. The message: I want you to be responsible. The message: I am here for you because you are my child, we are human, and you deserve respect and acceptance.
Uh, right here is where the world starts to chime in... they might say, "WTF, will your respect and accept (fill in the blank... depending on YOUR the example will vary)?"
My answer? I dunno. I depends on what is in the blank, I suppose. But, in general, I will care for, love, respect, and support my children unconditionally.
Those freaks that need to have it concrete are just ignorant. Their brains can't do complex, so they simplify and make it "simple" enough for their simple minds to process.
For me, as a parent, my children's journey is about them. It is their life.
I will guide and support as much as I am able. I will love, regardless of my agreement with them, unconditionally. Sure, I'll express my disagreement. I'll try to influence. But in the end, I will always agree to disagree on the principle of love.
What is the alternative? Do you reject your kid because they are not what you think they should be?
Then someone would say, "what about if they were college educated and they choose to buy a house in a slum and sit around and drink all day?" (again, fill in the freaking blank)
My answer, "Are they better off if you don't love them?"
Hey, I'm not saying to a co-dependent. I'm not saying to enable. I'm just saying that love and support builds strong bodies and minds.
So thanks, Obama. Thanks for supporting my message to my kids. Thanks for showing them that other adults have had trials and tribulations. Thanks for encouraging my kid to be their best. Thanks for supporting me as a parent. You are a true leader and an inspiration.
Why is it that other Presidents could speak to the children and no one blinked? Their speeches probably delivered the same message! (Albeit, their message was pure fiction because they were privileged and likely did not relate to most of the audience.)
This is the race issue folks. It is the black man getting all uppity and trying to influence our kids. It is ignorance at its best. (or worst)
Thanks Obama. Thanks for your support. Keep going. Just keep going.
Thanks for some fundamental payback for my vote.

Okay, it's not just me that feels this way. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteDoc
I was all for the speach and I think he did a wonderful job!
ReplyDelete