
Note: The photo is not my lemon custard. Mine looked much better, actually.
I have always loved Flan. What is not to like? Creamy custard with sweet carmel sauce. Who on earth couldn't love that? When I eat it the flavor reminds me of childhood, so I must have eaten it in Brazil.
I always wanted to make it. Then when my son was in fourth grade they had a southwest "feast". Everyone was supposed to bring something, hopefully home made. I decided I would make flan.
I found a painfully easy recipe online. I chose the recipe because the person claimed that their mother originally got the recipe in either Peru or Brazil. It tastes exactly like I remember and definitely as good as the ones I have ordered in restaurants and loved. The kids love it and it doesn't last long when I make it.
Now that we have eggs in abundance I have an excuse to make it most of the time. (The recipe calls for 6-10 eggs.
The other day I was in the mood to cook, but not in the mood to caramelize sugar, so I decided to try to alter the basic custard recipe. I substituted one half teaspoon of lemon extract for one half of the vanilla, then put in the zest of one (fresh from the tree) lemon. Baked as usual, and a new family favorite was born! Lemon custard. They said it was great warm, better cold, and best the next day.
I wish I could have tasted it. It smelled fabulous. I was wondering what would happen if you tried to caramelize lemon Jello for the top. Has anyone ever tried to caramelize Jello powder?
Today I will try the exact same thing with orange. We have lots of citrus these days. The lemons, limes, grapefruit and oranges are all ripe and delicious right now. Also, I only cook with Penzy's spices and flavorings. They are the best. They used to only be mail order and are definitely worth mail order if you don't have a store nearby. I was a mail order customer before they opened stores near me. Give them a try if you love to cook and don't shop there already.
I'm getting anxious to start cooking again! I'll be on a very low carb diet for three weeks after my last injection on Sunday. Obviously custard won't be on that menu!

I don't care for Flan...ok I despise it. But the lemon custard sound delicious. I might have to give it a try!
ReplyDeleteCan you send me your portion?!
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious.
ReplyDeleteMy brother gave me a great gift a few years ago--a small kitchen blowtorch that works perfect for caramelizing.
Mmmmm.
ReplyDeletei don't like flan cause i'm not a big caramel person but lemon custard does sound yummy. i love just about any kind of lemon desert. i'll have to try this one, the little man is a lemon freak too.
ReplyDelete