Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Procrastination!


Damn these blogs. I am supposed to be finishing up my classwork for the course that ends at midnight tonight. But nooooo! I can not resist reading my blogroll. Damn!
My house smells fabulous right now. I am cooking a few meals at once because I had meat that needed to be cooked. There is a turkey breast with fresh lemons and rosemary in the crock pot, and a beef stew simmering on the stove top. Yum.


I failed to post about the Cardinals yesterday. Too bad about those Cardinals, huh? At least it was a good game to watch. I agree with Vikkitikitavi, though. Their mascot is cute, no matter how mean they try to make it look. Besides, isn't the Cardinal the state bird of Illinois? So why did St. Louis choose Cardinals? Maybe I don't know (make that I definitely don't know) enough of their history or the proper details.


No matter. I got to dress up (a little) in some clothes that haven't fit for a few years. It felt pretty damn good! I enjoyed beer, pulled pork sandwiches, cheese balls, cheese slices, those little BBQ weenies (which always makes Thing 3 laugh when I mention them), and some Champagne. I was very smart about the quantities consumed, not wanting to gain any of those 25 pounds back, but it was fun to enjoy "regular people food" instead of thinking about a freaking diet. Best of all, I was with other adults - always a big event for me!


My hero for the day is Michelle Obama, who is putting working women, working mothers, and families at the top of her agenda as first lady. Back when I was a mother working out side the home, struggling to be a mother without jeopardizing my career, I never thought I'd see the day this would be an issue openly discussed anywhere but "Working Woman" or "Working Mother" magazine - and really, how many people read those? I fought the good fight to keep my career on the fast track while raising my kids, but finally caved in and let my career go "mommy track". It was a sucky choice to have to make, but my kids had to come first, and the career stalled. Maybe with the new focus on working families, I'll live to see the day where women won't feel as though they need to pretend that they want to actually see their kids, instead of being at work on the demands of a white male who has a stay-at-home mom raising his kids.


I gotta go do that school work. Ugh. One more class after this one and I'm finished!! If only I could find a job...




7 comments:

  1. My mother was a working mom when NO WOMEN worked. She had to endure a lot of insults. It was horrible

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cardinal is the state bird of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, so yeah, the little guy gets around.

    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle Obama is proud of you, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang Vikki, you beat me to the fun cardinal fact. Although it's interesting that it's not the official bird of Missouri, so you wonder how it ended up a St Louis mascot.

    Congratulations on the 25 pound loss, and for keeping it off while still enjoying some good food!

    Now get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations on the weight loss!!!!!

    I was a working mom for many years too.....fate intervened and I became a stay at home mom...which I enjoyed more than working....I never had a career ...just a job that I was good at doing.....car repo woman, mortgage collector, and a sales rep of food service diaposable products. Now I keep the books for G man's company, payroll and some minor tax stuff. I did have my own retail store for 3 years and was the jack of all trades for that,,,,, but nothing one could call a career.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cardinals were originally from Chicago, but as others have noted, the Cardinal is the state bird of approximately 49 of the fifty states.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working mom??? I thought all moms worked. Some of us have worked outside the home and in the home. If all I had to do was work 'outside' my home I could work two or three jobs. Oh, I did that. It's about time some one noticed that having 2 fulltime jobs, one of which involves children, requires some special attention so both jobs can be done right.
    Congratulations on the 25lbs. Did you send it my way? That would explain why my clothes are getting so uncomfortable.
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete